Home Page

About Us

Calendar of Events

Collections & Displays

Our Community

Reference Room

Gift Shop

Related Links

Important Dates in the Development of the Town of Covert and the Village of Interlaken

Many of these dates were compiled for the Seneca County Bicentennial and the Village of Interlaken Centennial, both  in 2004. Others have been added since then. Click on any of the pictures to see a larger version, then use your back button to return to the list. The Historical Society has research materials and additional photographs on many of these events. Stop in to visit, or email us here.

 

July 25, 1782

Military Tract created to compensate Revolutionary War soldiers

 

March 5, 1794

Onondaga County established from the Military Tract

 

March 5, 1794

Town of Ovid created within Onondaga County

 

March 8, 1799

Cayuga County created from Onondaga County

 

February 16, 1803

Baptist Church of Covert established, known as Baptist Church of Ovid and Hector. Under Elder Thomas the church became the Mother Church spinning off 12 additional Baptist Churches   Covert Baptist Church Page

March 29, 1804

Seneca County created from Cayuga County

 

March 19, 1810

Ithaca & Geneva Turnpike Incorporated

 

1811

Corduroy road completed

 

1812

First schoolhouse in Farmerville in a log cabin and later, a frame building. Called Farmerville Academy

 

June 12, 1814

Captain Hathaway’s Company, a unit of the New York Volunteers, proceeded to the Niagara Frontier

 

January 31, 1815

Post Office established at Mc Call’s store- first in Seneca County

 

April 7, 1817

Town of Covert created from Town of Ovid and included in the establishment of Tompkins County

 

April 13, 1819

Town of Covert returned from Tompkins County to Seneca County

 

May 8, 1819

Name of Post Office changed from Mc Calls Store to Farmer

 
October 18, 1819 Union Baptist Church in Christ organized in Farmer

Early Summer 1820

First Steam Boat on Cayuga Lake (The Enterprise) Passengers avoided stage coach ride from Ithaca to Geneva

 

March 8, 1824

Post Office established at Pratt's Corners, now the Hamlet of Covert

 

January 26, 1826

Town of Lodi established from Town of Covert

 

June 28, 1828

Bethel Chapel of Covert organized

 

November 28, 1830

Reformed Church of Farmerville organized. Formerly called the Reformed Protestant Dutch Church

February 17, 1842

Original American House Hotel burned

 

March 30, 1843

Military Lots No. 34, 40, 41, 42 in Township of Ovid annexed to Town of Covert

 
1847

The South and North Cemetery Associations were formed

February 10, 1850 Universalist Church formed  
March 12, 1850 Annual Meeting of the Town of Covert held in the new Covert Town Hall
May 5, 1856 Post Office established at Port Deposit  

1860

The South and North Cemetery Associations were merged to form the Farmerville-Union Cemetery

 

1863

John M. Chadwick detailed to organize a band for the 3rd Brigade and was later appointed leader. Band mostly comprised of members of the 126th New York Volunteers

November 20, 1865

Name of Post Office changed from Farmer to Farmer Village

 

1866

Inception of taxing all landowners to support Common Schools grade 1 to 6

 

1867

Farmerville Institute, a select school operating in Farmer Village

 

October 28, 1869

Farmer Union Free School opened

 

June 4, 1870

Maiden voyage of largest and last steamboat (The Frontenac) on Cayuga Lake. Burned on July 27, 1907.  Eight lives lost

 

September 13, 1873

Geneva & Ithaca Railroad completed

 

April 2, 1874

Farmer Grange No. 160 organized

 

June 4, 1874

Cornerstone laid for the St. Francis Solanus Catholic Church

 

February 21, 1876

A fire destroyed the barber shop of Delos Colver (owned by Mrs. D Christopher) along with a building owned by Hatton & Wood; the barns for the American hotel were saved by great effort

 

July 4, 1876

One thousand people gather at the Baptist Church of Covert to hear the first ringing of the new bell to commemorate the centennial of the Declaration of Independence

 

September 30, 1876    

Geneva & Ithaca Railroad came under control of Lehigh Valley Railroad

 

December 30, 1880

The Big Fire started from hot ashes dumped in a wooden ash barrel The bottom half of the picture shows the building roofs  of the structures that were destroyed, on both sides of Main Street.. Note the American Hotel in the center top of the photograph, it would be destroyed by fire in 1891.

July 1887  

Farmer Review begins publication

 

 
1891 Fire destroyed the American Hotel at the corner of Railroad and Main Street. The Goodman Hotel would be built on the site.

February 17, 1891

Cataract Engine and Hose Company No. 1 organized in Farmer Village

 

May 26, 1892

Name of Post Office changed from Farmer Village to Farmer

 

1895

Phone Service provided by Seneca Telephone Company

 

August 14, 1896

Universalist Church property sold and used as a bean elevator. Bell given to the Fire Company. Building burned on July 23, 1904

 

1900

Secondary school approved in Farmer

 

July 1902

Summer rains bring floods to many locations. Shown here is the Goodman Hotel surrounded by flowing water.

 1903

Ovid Electric Company organized

 

March 2, 1904

Village of Interlaken Incorporated

 

1904

Farmer Union Free School and Farmer Academy became Interlaken High School

July 1, 1904

Name of Post Office changed from Farmer to Interlaken

 

July 27, 1907

The Frontenac, the last steamboat on Cayuga Lake burned, eight lives were lost

 
1908 The Usher Family had a 40' x 100' Wells style barn built
June 1910 New Lehigh Valley Railroad Station opened in Interlaken
1911 O.G. & D.C. Wheeler Banking Company moves into new bank building.
April 1, 1911 Covert Grange No. 1227 organized with 46 charter members.

October 17, 1913

Fire destroyed the Boyer Opera House

 

1913

Originally built in 1857 the "Little Gem" formerly a church in Searsburg, town of Hector, was moved, piece by piece, and rebuilt on land purchased from Abram Wightman to become the Covert Grange Hall.

April 18, 1916

Weager Mill (formerly the Ryno and Longstreet foundry) destroyed by fire at the corner of Orchard and Main Street.

November 1919

Interlaken Post 462, American Legion receives original charter, John V. Kellogg  elected Commander, meetings held in the Minor Show Factor and in the Creque building.

 

1921

Hinman family purchased, restored and gave to the Village of Interlaken the former Hinman home for a public library.

 
1922 Monument honoring the members of Company C, 126th NY  Volunteers dedicated at Lake View Cemetery.

July 1927

Camp Barton (Boy Scouts of America) established on the grounds of the Frontenac Hotel

 

April 15, 1928

Fire destroyed the wooden building at the corner of Main Street and Railroad Ave.

 
     

July 1, 1934

Interlaken Central School organized, the new building opened for classes January 1936

July  1935

Severe summer thunderstorms devastated the area causing flooding and much damage to roads, railroads, buildings and crops

 

1939

Robinson Hotel fire, now the site of the Quik Shop gas station.

1940s

Honor Roll on the front lawn of the Library honors the man and women from Interlaken who are serving in the US Armed Forces.

 

October 26, 1945

Interlaken Post 462, The American Legion reorganizes and receives word they can have their name and number from the earlier Interlaken Post.

 

Late 1940s

The Interlaken Post 462 Post home is built on land donated by Halstead Canning Co., and Mr. & Mrs. John R. VanLiew.

 

1950s

Trumansburg Telephone Company opens new telephone office, Main Street Interlaken

October 31, 1951

Interlaken Historical Society formed to preserve the history of South Seneca County

 

October 15, 1954

Hurricane Hazel damages homes, farms and businesses leaving them without electricity or telephone service.

 

May 11, 1959

Last run of the Black Diamond Passenger Train. Freight service continued into the 1960s when the line was abandoned.

 

1963

New Post office opens on site of former Bergen Home, Main Street at West Avenue

 
     

May 1, 1968

Voters approve merger of Interlaken and Ovid Central Schools, now know as the South Seneca School District

 
     

April 25, 1970

Covert Grange #1227 disbanded.

 

The members joined the Interlaken Grange, with meetings continuing to be held at the former Covert Grange Hall.

Phil Stannard takes down the Covert Grange sign at the end of the meeting when Covert Grange disbanded and turned the building over to the Interlaken Grange.

June 1972

Hurricane Agnes rained on the area for days prompting flooding and emergencies throughout the region.

 
1976    
1978 Hamlet of Covert becomes a Historic District
January 1983 Interlaken Fire Company moves into their new building on South Main Street

Summer 1983

The Women's Peace Encampment near the Seneca Army Depot draws notice to the arms stored at the Depot. Following an attempt to walk from Seneca Falls to the Depot site, the women who were arrested are housed at South Seneca Interlaken Elementary building.

 
June 1986 The Goodman Hotel, built after the American Hotel fire in 1891... 
  ...came down in one day.
March 2004 The Village of Interlaken celebrated its 100th Anniversary with an open house at the Village Hall. On display were a number of historical documents and memorabilia.
June 2004 Olde Home Day 2004 Celebrated the Centennial of the Village of Interlaken and the Bicentennial of Seneca County. Past and present members of the Interlaken Fire Department were recognized as the Citizens of the Century.
     
June 14, 2008 The Historical Society opens their new museum at the Trumansburg Telephone Company Office building on Main Street.
 

Over 300 alumni, family, and friends of Interlaken Central School High School attend the All Alumni Reunion at the SSCS Elementary Building. Many of the ICS band alumni marched in the Olde Home Day parade.

 

Summer 2009

Town of Covert offices are moved into the American Legion building on South Main Street

     
     
     
     

Home Page   About Us   Calendar of Events   Museums, Collections & Displays   History of Our Community   Reference Room   Gift Shop   Related Links     Site Map

© Copyright 2007--2015 Interlaken Historical Society  All Rights Reserved
Website Hosting and Maintenance by Kompuders.Com
Problems with this page? Please contact the WebMaster